Hey Friends. I’m here today with a DIY for you (or you can buy them at my Etsy shop)…how to make your own dog leash. Leashes are expensive and often don’t come in the size you want. With this easy tutorial you can quickly make your own.
The supplies you’ll need are:
- 1/2 inch polypropylene rope
- Paracord in matching color
- 1 inch heat shrink
- Carabiner in matching color
1. To start with you need to calculate the length of polypropylene rope you need to cut. Take the length you want the leash to be and add 1.5 feet for the clasp side and 2-3 feet for the handle side depending on how large you’d like the wrist loop to be. Once you cut the rope to size burn each end to prevent fraying.
2. For the carabiner side fold a portion down and create a poachers knot. Then attach your carabiner.
3. Now cut two pieces of heat shrink about three inches in length and thread through the rope you haven’t tied yet.
4. With the untied rope end create the loop for your wrist…size as desired.
5. Take paracord and wrap around the loop and down the rope until desired length is reached…keeping high tension as you go.
6. When you reach desired length tuck the end of the paracord under the last wrap around to secure.
7. Slide the two pieces of heat shrink to each end…melt one over the poachers knot and the other over the end of the paracord wrap with a heat tool or over an open flame. While the heat shrink isn’t as pretty as we may like it provides the strength needed to glue it all together if the dog pulls quickly or harder than we are ready for.
So there you have it. A custom dog leash with ease. Hope this tutorial gives you some ideas for your own pup, but if DIY isn’t your style you can buy these at my Etsy shop. Thanks for stopping by!
Jessica VanderVeen says
Great tutorial! Going to check them out in your shop!
Wow – that is a fun idea! I guess you could get even more creative and add charms or other girly stuff (if you were me, lol).
Puppy Foodie says
making its very easy if you are not a beginner
This was only the third one we made and it’s easier than you think. If you have any questions please let me know and we’ll try to help.